Our Swim Test Policy has been created to help ensure the safety of all children who use our pools. The Bath Area Family YMCA swim test policy is based on recommended best practices by Y -USA and the Redwoods Group. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in helping the YMCA protect your vested interest.
Swim Tests help provide you and our staff with an awareness of your child’s swimming competency and confidence. Swim Bands are worn around your child’s wrist to let our staff know they are deep water competent and confident. At the Bath Area Family YMCA we have two swim bands (Green and Red) that designate what areas of our pools your child can play in.
Green Band: To earn a green band, a child must complete the following tasks in sequence…
- Enter from the shallow end of pool
- Swim length of 25 yard pool without stopping
- Climb out and jump in, surface
- Tread water effectively for 30 seconds
- Float on back for 5-10 seconds
Red Band: Children who do not pass the deep water swim test are given a red band so that lifeguards and other Y staff can easily identify them. Children wearing an red band must follow all guidelines outlined in the table below.
Children under 7 years of age must be accompanied in the water at arm’s length by a supervising adult regardless of their swimming ability.
Children under 18 years of age must take a swim test to receive a green band and be allowed to swim in deep water.
Supervising adults must be at least 18 years of age and may not be responsible for more than two children at a time requiring arm’s length supervision
|PASSES SWIM TEST||DOES NOT PASS SWIM TEST|
|Infant-6 years old||
|10-17 years old||
When entering the pool, all swimmers (non program) under age 18 will be required to take a swim test. The results will get them a green or red wrist band. The following is a list of steps needed to complete the test.
Ready to take the swim test?
- Notify a lifeguard that you would like to take the swim test
- Take the swim test in the main pool
- The lifeguard will give swimmer a Blue Swimmer Card to fill out
- Give Blue Swimmer Card back to lifeguard to initial
- All cards will be kept on the pool deck in a case in alphabetical order
- When coming in please find your card in the swim test card case and show a lifeguard. You will get your green band if you are a swimmer, if you are a non swimmer the lifeguard will give you a red band. All non program children under 18 must wear a red or green band. Enjoy your swim!